Apr 10, 2012

24 years.

Welp, it happened, a few weeks ago now. I grew another year older. To be honest, this year felt very different than many years in the past. Why is that, you ask? Well, I believe it has something to do with the millions of beautiful brown people that surround me on a daily basis. They got me thinking about what I’ve learned, specifically in this past year of life. What I discovered though, is that this lesson themes throughout my entire life.
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. 
Hebrews 13:20-21
All of that verse is exceedingly, abundantly true. I know that because I know that the Word is inerrant, but I also know that because I have lived knowing that Father has, is, and will do all of this working in my life.

What I can’t get past though currently (not that I want to), is that He is “the great Shepherd of the sheep.” Let’s learn together, shall we?
shep·herd/ˈSHepərd'Noun: A person who tends and rears sheep.
There are a lot of shepherds in the good book. There’s Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, the twelve tribes, Moses, King David, Amos, and of course the shepherds to whom the birth of the Son was announced. Not to mention, the King of kings – the Word calls Him the Good Shepherd (John 10).

What does a shepherd do? What have all of these people done throughout the course of His story? They have taken care of the sheep. That’s obvious, one might think, but to grasp the magnitude of this fact is no small task. And in 24 years, I’ve just learned only a fraction of how much a shepherd cares for his sheep, how much my Shepherd cares for His sheep.

The One who walked this earth as a man, who bore my sin, who rose on the third day, who defeated death, who reigns victorious, who always wins, who is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-present, this One takes care of me. He is my shepherd. In all of my life, in every season, He takes such good care of us. He knows us. He knows how to comfort us, how to provide for us, how to encourage us, how to refine us, how to make us like Him.

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep (John 10:11).”

That is no small thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment